Table of Contents
How to get Plastic Taste Out of New Coffee Maker?
Have you experienced some weird plastic taste from your first freshly brewed coffee from that new coffee maker? New coffee makers tend to have this disgusting plastic taste because of the material used to manufacture its base layer. Moreover, there is a chance that you have got some plastic from the reservoir or the brewing chamber.
To resolve this issue, in this article, we have provided a complete cleaning method guide for you so that you can eliminate that weird taste out of your coffee.
Why does my Coffee Taste like Plastic?
There might be more than one reason for this;
Reason # 1: Manufacturing Materials
- This is probably because of the plastic material that is used for manufacturing. The compounds such as BPA (Bisphenol-A) or Phthalates are responsible for the plastic taste in your coffee.
- Moreover, the grade 7 water reservoir, which is recycled, also produces BPA. At the same time, phthalate is an essential factor for the manufacturing of PVC materials.
- First of all, you need to understand why you have this plastic smell coming out of your coffee. Well, it mainly comes from the water reservoir you have inside the machine.
Reason # 2: Water Stayed for a Long Time in Reservoir
- Another reason for this lousy tasting coffee is, you may have kept water for a long time in the water reservoir. This happens because of the gas that is inside. So, while brewing, it may mix with water and altogether provide you with an awful coffee.
- Let’s look at the solution of how you can get rid of the plastic taste from your new coffee maker.
How to get the Plastic Taste out of a New Coffee Maker?
Here are some quick and easy ways to get rid of this problem.
Method # 1- The Vinegar Water Solution
We all have vinegar in our kitchen. But do you know how good a cleaner it is? Vinegar has bleaching properties that help it remove all the impurities and hence is way more helpful than just used in cooking.
Here is a step-by-step process;
Step 1- Empty The Reservoir:
Before starting the process, the very first step is to clean and empty the water reservoir properly.
Step 2- Add Water and Vinegar:
Take equal amounts of water and vinegar, fill the coffee maker’s chamber, and brew it by pressing the auto clean button.
Step 3- Clean The Reservoir:
Flush out the water-vinegar solution from the water chamber thoroughly. It will help remove all the buildup, impurities, and plastic waste from the coffee maker.
Step 4- Run Another Cycle:
At this step, go for another cycle but only with water to remove the vinegar smell and particles.
After finishing the steps, you may find that no plastic smell will come out again. And if it does, go for the next solution.
Once you are done with the whole process, you may not find any plastic taste in your coffee. However, if it still tastes like that, go for the second method.
Method # 2- The Soap Water Combination
The standard way to solve this problem is to run your chamber through soapy water.
Step 1- Fill Water
Fill the water reservoir with water and add liquid soap.
Step 2- clean it
Here it is recommended to clean manually with the help of a brush. However, you can do it
Method # 3- Use Baking Soda
Another remarkably effective method is the baking soda and water solution. For this, follow the below-mentioned steps;
Step 1- Fill The Reservoir:
Take some warm water and pour it inside the coffee maker’s water chamber.
Step 2- Put Some Baking Soda
Now, add in some baking soda in a considerable amount and brew it. It will dissolve all the buildup and get rid of the plastic smell.
Step 3- Rinse It Off
Clear the mixture entirely from the water reservoir. It will rinse all the impurities from your coffee maker.
If you desire, you can repeat the overall process to clean your coffee maker and once again enjoy perfect morning coffee.
How to Maintain the Perfect Smell of my Coffee?
Well, to maintain the perfect smell of your coffee, the essential factor is to clean it daily after every use. In addition, investing some time in your coffee maker will reap good benefits.
Therefore, to enjoy a healthy cup of coffee, investing time for cleaning is a must.
How often do I need to Clean my Coffee Maker?
Cleaning the coffee maker daily is recommended because the water reservoir is the home for harmful bacteria such as mildew, which is significantly dangerous for you and your family. Additionally, it will provide bad-tasting coffee.
However, if you are short on time, with a dishwashing liquid, once or twice a week, wash all the removable parts of the coffee maker.
How to make your coffee maker last long?
Your coffee maker’s life depends upon how well you take care of it. The vital step in this regard is to help your machine get rid of all the impurities.
Why is it important? Because regular usage of coffee makers builds up unwanted minerals that prevent water from coming out of the chamber. Follow the steps to clean;
- Fill the reservoir water only and brew it. It will eliminate all the leftover coffee grounds.
- Run a water-vinegar solution to get rid of mineral buildup.
- Run a cleaning cycle if your coffee maker has a clean button. If not, just run the normal water brewing process.
- Clean the parts after using the machine with a dishwashing liquid.
- With a soft cloth, clean the outer area of your machine.
Experiencing plastic taste in the coffee is an awful thing that can happen to buyers of the coffee maker. But, now resolving this issue is not a big deal.
Just follow the methods mentioned above to get the plastic taste out of your new coffee maker and have a good cup of coffee.
However, if you have done more than five repetitions, you may need to consider getting a BPA-free coffee maker.