Table of Contents
Understanding How A Keurig Coffee Maker Works
The keurig brand of coffee maker is well known for their high quality single serve coffee makers. They are a household brand of coffee maker and have a track record of excellence. How a Keurig Coffee Maker Works might appear to be a little different from other regular coffee makers but it is actually very simple, and pretty much the same as every other coffee maker out there. They go through the same process as other coffee makers, and still makes a great cup of coffee. To properly use a keurig coffee maker for adequate results, it will be in your best interest if you understand how a keurig coffee maker works, which you will find out in this post.
What Is The Keurig Brewing Process Like
The brewing process is almost the same as every other one. The only difference is that instead of having to measure out your coffee grounds, a Keurig coffee maker uses pods known as K-cups which contains already measured ready to brew coffee. During brewing, a needle punctures the K-cups at the top and another one at the bottom to allow hot water to flow evenly through it, into your cup. A keurig always has hot water in its tank so the process is always fast. Takes about a minute for it to be completed. And at the end of that minute, you will have your cup of coffee ready.
What Are K-cups
K-cups are keurig manufactured coffee pods. They are small disposable plastic cups containing coffee grounds with a foil covering to protect the coffee grounds. They come in different flavors and offer users up to 200 varieties of flavor. Inside this coffee pods there is ground coffee with filters. Before sealing up the K-cups, all oxygen is removed to preserve the coffee within. K-cups are not limited to only keurig coffee makers, and can be used in other coffee makers as well, including some Cuisinart models. The benefit of using a K-cup is that is saves you the stress and calculations of measuring out coffee grounds before you brew your coffee. You only need to pop in your K-cup and you’ll get your cup of coffee in just one minute.
How To Set Up A New Keurig Coffee Maker
If you just got a new keurig coffee maker, you shouldn’t just start using it right away. You should take it through the setup process, after that you can start using it to brew amazing cups.
- Plug coffee maker to the power outlet but don’t press the power button just yet.
- Take out the reservoir and rinse. Fill it all the way up with water place the water filter into the reservoir.
- You can then turn the coffee maker on.
- Place a mug on the drip tray to collect the water.
- Run a water-only cycle. So you shouldn’t insert your K-cup just yet.
- After the cycle is complete pour out the collected water . And your setup process is complete. The coffee maker is ready for use.
How To Brew Coffee With A Keurig Coffee Maker
Brewing coffee with a keurig coffee maker is very easy and achievable within the shortest time. The following steps will guide you through how to brew in you keurig coffee maker
- Select the K-cup flavor you will like to use and keep it handy. There are also pods for hot chocolate and tea, so keep in mind that you can use a keurig to make those too. Be versatile about the flavor choice. There are a lot to select from.
- Fill up your water reservoir and leave it open. Some reservoirs are removable while some are not.
- Lift the handle of the coffee maker and pop in your K-cup. Then close it back. Keep the foil covering intact. It doesn’t need to be open, the needles will do the work.
- Place your coffeecup on the drip tray to receive brewed coffee. You can close your water reservoir at this point.
- Turn on the machine and select your brew size. Most Keurigs offer a cup choice between 6 Oz, 8 Oz, and 10 Oz. But it is best if you choose the smallest brew size.
- Give it a minute, and your cup of coffee is ready to drink.
Tips To Maintain A Keurig Coffee Maker
Proper maintenance will guarantee how well and how long your coffee maker will work so you have to maintain it by descaling as often as you can. It is recommended that you descale at least once every 4-6 months. You can do that with white vinegar. You will run a brew cycle with vinegar and water mixed in the proportion of two parts water to one part vinegar. Always wipe the body of your coffee maker and keep it dry at all times. To avoid scratches do not use abrasive material on your coffee maker and you should never immerse it in water. Wash the K-cup holder after every use, but you should be careful with the needles because they are very sharp. Empty drip tray and rinse under running water. Try to do these as often as you can and you will see how good of a shape you will keep your coffee maker
A Keurig coffee maker has no complicated stuff when it comes to how it works. Even if you never owned one before, or never brewed in one before, you won’t be needing any hand holding to get your first cup ready. Just a few instructions and you’re done. It is easy to use and easy to wash, and does make a great cup of coffee too. Make sure everything is in order with your coffee maker, by carefully observing your coffee maker during every brew to discover if it’s slacking or the coffee doesn’t taste as good. Clean as often as you can, especially if you have hard water. After finding out how a keurig coffee maker works, the next step is to make sure it works the right way.