Table of Contents
If you are a coffee lover, one of the best choices you can make is to switch from using pre-ground coffee to grinding your coffee at home. While buying pre-ground coffee is cheap and easy, nothing beats making your ground coffee from home. True coffee lovers will tell you that brewing from freshly ground coffee beans gives you richer, tastier, and better coffee.
Once ground, coffee goes bad pretty quickly. With time, it loses its natural aroma, and the taste deteriorates. Coffee made from pre-ground coffee does not taste the same as coffee made from freshly ground coffee. This is why most coffee experts prefer to brew their coffee. It is better to buy coffee beans and grind them when you need to brew from home.
If you own a coffee machine without an inbuilt grinder, you can still get to make your coffee from home by investing in one. In this guide, you will learn about choosing a coffee grinder for home use and the best recommendations for home grinders.
Types of coffee grinders in the market
|JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder with Adjustable Setting - Conical Burr Mill & Brushed Stainless Steel Whole Bean Burr Coffee Grinder for Aeropress, Drip Coffee, Espresso, French Press, Turkish Brew||Learn more|
|SHARDOR Coffee & Spice Grinders Electric, 2 Removable Stainless Steel Bowls for Dry or Wet Grinding, Black||Learn more|
When brewing coffee from home, the performance of your grinder affects the quality of your coffee. Coffee made from perfectly ground coffee beans has a better taste, acidity, and sweetness. On the other hand, uneven ground coffee will give you a bitter coffee cup with uneven saturation. This is why it is essential to find a grinder that will grind your coffee beans on demand evenly.
Generally, all coffee grinders fall under three categories:
Burr coffee grinders
These are the most highly rated types of coffee grinders in the market. They are made of either flat wheels or two cones that work to grind your coffee beans. These can be made from steel or ceramic materials. Generally, burr coffee grinders are more expensive than other types because of its high-performance capabilities. This coffee machine works by pulverizing coffee beans between the two burrs to achieve a uniform grind level. This results in better-tasting coffee.
The pace between the two burrs determines the size of the grounds. This space can be adjusted depending on the ground size you want to achieve. You can choose between steel burrs and ceramic burrs. While steel is more affordable than ceramic, it also wears out faster. This is why most home coffee makers use ceramic burr grinders. Both types require regular cleaning, and will eventually need replacing.
This is a coffee grinder that can also be used for grinding spices. They are made with a propeller blade that spins as it grinds the coffee beans into smaller sizes. With this machine, the fineness of the ground is determined by how long you run the grinder. The result is usually a mixture of texture ranging from very fine coffee powder to small coffee bean chunks.
With this coffee grinder, the quality of your coffee is not the best. The grounds can result in over-extraction or under-extraction, which makes the coffee bitter. This machine also makes precise measuring of coffee difficult since some of the ground coffee sticks to the grinder due to static charge from the spinning. This type of coffee grinder is best for coffee to be used in a drip coffee machine instead of an espresso machine. Even so, they are more affordable than burr grinders, making them a common choice for most households.
If you spend most of your time away on the road, a manual coffee grinder is one of the best ways to enjoy fresh coffee bean grounds. This is designed as an alternative to electric grinders that require a power source to function. Most of these manual coffee grinders are burr grinder types. However, they are limited in terms of quantity. You can only grind coffee beans enough for one of two cups at a time. It only takes a few minutes to use this machine to grind your coffee beans. The best ones are said to have low noise, easy to use, and highly portable. Popular choices come with fully adjustable coarse levels to ensure you can get finely ground coffee or larger coffee chunks wherever you are.
What to look for in a coffee grinder
Ability to adjust coffee quantity – this allows for coffee quantity precision when grinding for different cup and pot sizes, and brewing for single or double espressos.
Capacity and size – the best coffee grinders should come in a compact size for easy storage. This ensures they do not unnecessarily take up space in your kitchen. It would be best if you also got a coffee grinder that can grind the amount of coffee you need in one cycle.
Even grinding – evenly ground coffee is essential for the perfect brew.
Ease of cleaning – always go a grinder that is easy to clean and mess-free.
What is the best coffee grinder for home use? – the top 3 recommendations
JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder
- BUILT-IN ADJUSTABLE GRIND SELECTOR - with over 18 click settings ensures you have 100% precision & control over the coarseness of your coffee beans making for the perfect grind to start your day.
- CONVENIENT & EASY TO USE: Our removable hand crank mechanism consistently eliminates over 90% of the noise that electric grinders produce. No batteries, power, or long plastic cords needed to operate your portable compact manual grinder.
- PATENTED CERAMIC COMBO BURRS - Our signature burr grinder blades are designed and tested through three professional grade inspections to last 5xs longer than stainless steel blades.
- COFFEE IS IN OUR DNA - Each JavaPresse product is designed to liberate and empower you to transform your favorite whole bean coffee ritual into an extraordinary daily experience.
- FREE COFFEE - Every Javapresse grinder comes with an unique code to redeem a free bag of whole bean coffee ($21.99 value).
This is an excellent coffee grinder choice for coffee lovers who prefer to brew their coffee even when on the road. It is a highly portable manual coffee grinder made with up to 18 click settings to give you complete control of the coffee grinding process. The hand crank mechanism used to grind coffee is quieter than electric grinders. It uses ceramic burrs that are easy to use and clean. You can use it to grind coffee for up to 3 cups, making it perfect for individual use.
KRUPS Silent Vortex Electric Grinder
This is an efficient, powerful, and silent electric coffee maker that can grind coffee for up to 12 cups in under 15 seconds. It uses a patent-pending vortex spinning technology that ensures fast pulling of ingredients into the blades for super-fast grinding. As a 3-in-1 grinder, you can use to grind your spices, herbs, and coffee beans. The removable parts of this coffee grinder are dishwasher safe, and it is mess-free.
SHARDOR Coffee & Spice Grinders
- 【Grinding Coarse or Fine Coffee Beans as you Please】Just by simply pressing the lid for different seconds to get coarse or fine coffee powder. Get desired powder in 15 seconds or less.
- 【Multi-functional Use】To meet your various needs, our coffee grinder is equipped with 2 grinding cups. The 2-blade cup can be used for coffee beans, nuts, sesame seeds, flax seeds while 4-blade cup can be used for garlic, basil and spices.
- 【Dishwasher-Safe】The stainless steel cups can be removed from the base. The removable cups are dishwasher safe and easy to clean as well.
- 【Consistent and Even Grinding】High-quality stainless steel blade and 200w powerful motor ensure continuous and even grinding for better maintaining the original rich aroma and oil of the coffee bean.
- 【What You Get】You will get a coffee grinder, a 2-blade cup, a 4-blade cup, a 2-in-1 coffee spoon with brush, a user manual, the 400-day warranty and our friendly customer service.
If you like playing around with the coarse coffee quality, this electric coffee grinder is exactly what you need. By a press of a button, you can get coffee chunks or coffee powder by playing with the time you allow the machine to grind. This coffee grinder comes with two grinding cups for grinding coffee beans, nuts, flaxseed, sesame seeds, and spices. The removable components are dishwasher safe.
If you take your home coffee brewing seriously, you need to ensure you invest in a good home coffee grinder. There are numerous ranges in the market, with different capabilities. Follow this guide to select the best coffee grinder for your needs.
Click here to view our best nitro cold brew keg if you liked this article.