Table of Contents
Could there be anything better in the morning than a freshly brewed coffee? Possibly not.
So do you know the wonders your coffee maker can do other than giving you fresh-brewed aromatic coffee? And if you had wondered how the temperature of the water could affect the taste of your coffee?
Your coffee is capable of not just brewing your daily dose of coffee, but also it does heat water up to around 200 degrees. Your coffee maker is also provided by a hot plate that possesses the power to keep your coffee at a constant temperature of about 165 degrees. While some can be adjusted.
How The Temperature Of The Water Affects Your Coffee
The purpose of a coffee maker is to brew an aromatic cup of freshly brewed coffee. Have you ever noticed the bitterness of your coffee, like why it is not the same as that of Starbucks one?
It is mainly due to the hotness of water in the coffee maker reservoir. Yes, the taste of your coffee depends upon How hot the water in the reservoir can get. You probably need a better coffee maker since the better the coffee maker, the hot the water will be in the reservoir.
- In a cheap or poorly performing coffee maker, a full pot of coffee may reach around 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- A good coffee maker will reach 190 or more degrees Fahrenheit.
Ideally, the coffee has to be brewed between 195 and 205 degrees Fahrenheit. If too hot, then it will lose some flavour and taste burnt. If below this temperature, then it will taste weak and watery.
How Could You Control The Temperature Of The Water
It is crucial to check the temperature of the brewer, especially if you have been using it for quite some time. Regardless of whether you have been using the coffee maker for a long time, coffee makers have built-in water heaters and controls in most cases.
- You can spot a weakened thermocouple by the taste of your brewed coffee. It will be sour so you should consider getting a new brewer. Do not add more ground coffee to mask the taste. A new brewer will offer you far better.
- You would need to warm up your Chemex or French Press before you start brewing by adding the hot water and letting it sit for a few seconds. The hot water will warm up your container and maintain the temperature of the water as you brew.
How Could You Know How Hot Is The Water In The Reservoir
- As water temperature approaches 185 degrees Fahrenheit, it is considered to simmer. When the water is simmering, bubbles are present at the surface of the water and these bubbles move around. When the water temperature reaches 200 degrees Fahrenheit, the bubbles are larger and there is more movement.
- Using your coffee maker without coffee allows you to measure the water temperature. As the water settles into the carafe. However, you cannot measure the water temperature through the coffee temperature. Coffee brewed with 195-205 degrees water will settle at about 160-170 degrees Fahrenheit.
How Does The Hot Plate Work
- The hot plate on a coffee maker keeps the coffee warm after it has just brewed. The optimal temperature is between 120 degrees and 140 degrees, depending on the model.
- To maintain this temperature, you must not allow the coffee to be cooler than this. In this case, the coffee may taste lukewarm when you come back for your second cup. In addition, coffee that is hotter than this might lose flavour over time or taste burnt.
What Other Than Brewing Coffee Using hot Water
- Teabags can be tossed in the basket where coffee brews, and you’re off to the races.
- Using your coffee pot burner as a warm plate is like having the smallest range top in the world.
- Even if you have a coffee maker, you can make instant oatmeal.
- Steamers that you use for coffee grounds also work great for steaming vegetables. The basket where you usually put the grounds is perfect for steaming a bowl or two of vegetables. etc.
It is recommended to brew coffee at 195 degrees to 205 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature produces the highest extraction rate, along with the best flavour and antioxidant levels. All coffee makers that are SCAA certified can brew coffee at this temperature. If the water is too hot, the coffee is more bitter and tasteless. If the water is too cold, the coffee will be weak and watered down.